The countdown to Thanksgiving is flying by! The big holiday is 2 days away, and the stores are crazy! As long as you have been following our blog and keeping up with your Thanksgiving checklist, then this week should be a breeze.
- Tip #1: Pick up your perishable items. Whenever you have a free minute, head to the grocery store and grab your fresh items. Do this as soon as possible since the stores are going to be packed.
- Tip #2: Plan how to cook your turkey. If you are using a roaster like the one we suggested in our Countdown to Thanksgiving: 2 Weeks post, follow these cooking times below. If you are stuffing your turkey, add half an hour to the cook times suggested below. Make sure to let the turkey cool before you cut it. If a turkey is too hot, it will tend to shred instead of slice.
- Tip #3: Prepare food ahead of time. Now is the time to make your veggie trays and salads ahead of time. This will save some you some time on Thursday morning.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving and remember to relax!
Thanksgiving is 7 days away, and it’s crunch time! With one week until the big day, the menu should be organized and everyone should know what to bring. Here are some tips for you to make this final week flow smoothly.
- Tip #1: Get your shopping done early! Thanksgiving and crowded grocery stores go hand in hand. Get your shopping done early so you don’t get stuck with the last turkey on the shelf. You can wait until Monday or Tuesday to get your fresh items, but make sure that’s all you have to get because the stores will be crazy.
- Tip #2: Thaw your turkey. Place your frozen turkey in the refrigerator, but make sure it is on a dish that will not allow it to drip onto other items. A good rule of thumb is to allow 24 hours of defrost time for every 4 to 5 pounds of turkey.
- Tip #3: Prepare food in advance. You can make pies, appetizers and dips a few days in advance. Doing this will free up some time and help to relieve some stress.
Remember to ask your family and friends for help. The holidays are supposed to be fun and enjoyable!
Thanksgiving is 14 days away, and it’s time to start planning! With two weeks until the big day, the location and guest list should be organized. If not, don’t freak out because we have some tips to help make planning the other details a breeze.
- Tip #1: Determine how you will cook the turkey. If you have not yet purchased a roaster to cook your turkey, now is the time! You can order an 18 quart Hamilton Beach Roaster here. Using a roaster to cook your turkey will help to keep the oven open for sides and deserts.
- Tip #2: Finalize the menu. Now is the time to write down the full menu and make sure that everyone knows what to bring. Once this is done, you can create a shopping list and move to tip 3.
- Tip #3: Do some fall cleaning. Clean out your refrigerator or your whole kitchen. Start making room for groceries and side dishes so you will not have to worry about it the night before. Check to make sure you have all of the utensils, dishes, and paper products that you may need. If you find something that you need, add these items to your shopping list.
- Tip #4: Relax! You still have two weeks, and the shopping can wait until next week. You may be able to buy a few items if you want to get ahead of the game, but the perishables won’t make it that long.
If this seems like a lot, don’t be afraid to ask your family and friends for help. Remember, the holidays are supposed to be a relaxing time to spend with the ones you care about most.