Time to try something a little different for your morning cup of coffee – a golden latte. This specialty drink, sometimes referred to as “golden milk,” gets its name from the addition of turmeric which gives the latte its distinctive golden color. Golden lattes are made from a unique combination of turmeric and nut-based milk product, such as soy, almond, or coconut milk, to produce the final product.
The popularity of golden lattes might just be beginning to gain momentum with a mainstream audience, but turmeric has been hailed as a natural health restorative for centuries in South Asia, specifically India. The key ingredient is not only used for body detoxification and other health benefits, but is also essential in Indian recipes for curry and rice. Along with the turmeric and nut-based milk, golden lattes are mixed with various spices, like cinnamon, ginger, or even pepper, and can include a touch of honey for a final bit of sweetness.
Since golden lattes offer a healthy option in the morning, the drinks are quickly replacing their caffeinated alternatives and becoming a wide-spread trend in the beverage industry. To feature this specialty drink on your healthy drink menu follow the simple recipe below.
- 1 ½ cups nut-based milk (soy, almond, or coconut milk)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add ingredients into a sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- While the mixture is heating, whisk the ingredients until it becomes smooth and frothy.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer the mixture for 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer to a mug, matching your restaurant’s ambiance or complimenting the golden yellow latte color, and serve warm.