Use the sweet, buttery taste of Challah bread to give your classic French toast recipe a tasty twist.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tsp orange zest, grated
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large loaf challah or brioche bread, sliced into 3/4-inch thick slices
- Unsalted butter
- Vegetable oil
- Maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, orange zest, vanilla, honey, and salt. Soak as many slices in the egg mixture as possible for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil in a large saute pan or griddle over medium heat. Add the soaked bread and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until well browned and slightly crispy.
- If not serving immediately, place the cooked slices on a sheet pan and place in oven to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Repeat the cooking process until completed, adding butter and oil as needed.
- Serve hot with maple syrup.