Start any morning with a stellar treat no one can resist; Galaxy Doughnuts. Using a simple marbled icing technique, these intergalactic creations utilize unique coloring and edible glitter to truly sparkle. Plus, this recipe can be prepared by decorators at any skill level so adding these mesmerizing Galaxy Doughnuts to your menu is both easy and profitable.
- 4 cups powdered sugar, plus extra on hand
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Purple, black, pink, and blue gel food coloring
- 6 plain, unfrosted doughnuts
- Silver food-grade edible glitter
- In a large bowl large, whisk together powdered sugar, milk, coconut oil and vanilla until it reaches a silky and smooth consistency.
- If needed, add extra powdered sugar until the icing is a thick liquid consistency and not too runny.
- Add 2 drops of purple food coloring and mix to tint the base.
- Add 1 to 2 drops of each additional food coloring and swirl the surface of the icing several times with a skewer or toothpick.
- Dip doughnut into the icing on one side, letting the icing drip off for a few seconds, Place the doughnut icing-side up on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Repeat the process with the remaining doughnuts.
- As the food coloring drops become too indistinguishable, scoop out the top layer of icing with a spoon and add new color combinations. Each round of colors typically yields two dips before needing to be refreshed.
- Sprinkle the doughnuts with edible glitter and let dry.