Featuring the familiar tastes of fresh apples and seasonal spices, these glazed apple cookies make the perfect addition to any autumn dessert menu. Wrap the cookies individually to increase impulse purchases at the registers or sell the treats by the dozen to accommodate higher demand from guests.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup apples, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tbsp half-and-half
- Beat shortening and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and blend thoroughly.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Stir half the dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Stir in nuts, apple and raisins, then stir in remaining half of dry ingredients and milk. Mix well.
- Drop from tablespoon 1 1/2 inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, prepare the glaze. Combine powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and enough half-and-half to make glaze of spreading consistency. Beat until smooth.
- Once finished baking, remove cookies to racks. While still warm, drizzle or spread the glaze over the cookies.